Church architectural terms

Jambs - a side post or surface of a doorway, window, or fireplace.

Chamfer - (in carpentry) cut away (a right-angled edge or corner) to make a symmetrical sloping edge.

Tracery - ornamental stone openwork, typically in the upper part of a Gothic window.

Tie-beama horizontal beam connecting two rafters in a roof or roof truss.

Order, also called order of architecture, any of several styles of classical or Neoclassical architecture that are defined by the particular type of column and entablature they use as a basic unit. A column consists of a shaft together with its base and its capital.

Fluted: having flutes or grooves; ridged.

Corbel: a projection jutting out from a wall to support a structure above it.

Lozenge - A diamond-shaped pattern characteristic of Romanesque decoration that is often carved around pillars, arches and doorways.

Foliate capital A capital decorated with foliage elements.

Billet, an ornament belonging to Norman architecture, resembling a row or pile of billets or logs of wood turned endwise to the spectator. It is formed by cutting portions out of a moulding, or several rows of mouldings.

Splay -an  oblique slope given to the sides of an opening in a wall so that the opening is wider at one face than the other

Purlin: a horizontal beam along the length of a roof, resting on principals and supporting the common rafters or boards.

Truss: a framework, typically consisting of rafters, posts, and struts, supporting a roof, bridge, or other structure.